Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hurricane Ike

The wind howled, it started at 10pm and every hour grew stronger. By 1am the house shook. By 3am a loud screeming like a kazoo started. It would stop for a second like the storm took a breath and start again. We huddled in the pantry and waited. Finally at 5am the sind slowed down. It stop until almost 10am. When it was over we were left with no fence in the backyard, some roof damage water in the attic, and the master bedroom and playroom soaked from the windows, the downstairs office is the same. The garage has water coming out the light fixtures. And we have no power. BUT, we are okay. We are lucky, we found shelter in a condo in the city. We have power, but no water. Joshua was getting ill from the heat but now is okay. It is very hot and muggy and this morning it is raining again.
Im so tired. We are very blessed and I know that, but Im just tired. It will be at least a week before we have power and can go home. I don't know how long before we will be able to get the house fixed. I am worried about mold. Again we are lucky, the house three doors down was destroyed. The owners wern't home so they wern't hurt. I dont know what to say but we are okay. And we are lucky and we will get by. I still have 5 children, 2 dogs and 1 incredible husband. We pray for those who lost more than us, and ask that you do the same. As always, thank you.
And thanks to Lanae for typing this as I dictated it!

9 comments:

Lanae said...

so grateful you are all alright. thanks for the call this morning. love you all.

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to call, but figured you were just trying to survive. I'm glad to hear you all came out alright. Been very worried! Call when you can. Keep smiling! Love ya. Sherri

Julie said...

Ruth, glad to hear y'all are okay. I thought about you guys alot this weekend. What a horrible welcome to the state!! You're in our prayers. Julie

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lanae for helping to keep us informed!

Ruth, I know you probably won't see this for awhile but the girls and I are glad you are all safe. We watched your town on the weather channel to see how bad you were getting hit, feeling helpless the whole time.

I am at Michelle's house this week because she had an emergency Tonsillectomy. I just had to drop everything and come down. I am with the little ones.
Love, The Douglas Family

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved to hear you are alright. 2004 is still fresh in our memory. 4 Hurricanes hit us in Florida. I really love our generator and window airconditioner unit. We had a tornado damage our roof in 2006. Our prayers are with you and the wonderful people of Houston TX.

Lots of Love,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Ruth, I miss you and the kids so much. I know Adele and I really didn't know you that great, but we feel so close to you guys. I always have the people in our ward pray for you guys. I tell them how strong you and your whole family are. I am so blessed to even know you guys. I hope everything is well.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi ruth! I'm glad your okay cause I asked if the hurricane was in houston then I remembered you were there and started panicing. But mom told me you called and said your house was damaged but you were okay. If you want to you can check out my blog too. I'm glad your okay

dominiquedoutre.blogspot.com is my blog address.

Britt Thomas said...

I am glad to hear everyone is ok :) love you all

Janette Porter said...

Just checking up on you. You went from Tornadoes to Hurricanes. Keep safe, and tell you kiddos hello.