Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fears, Fences, and Frogs

Well we have power, but the house is a mess. Our roof has been fixed (thanks to the kindness of a member of our church) but we have no fence. We are dealing with a plague of misquitos and frogs. Ok, let me go slower. First, the important stuff: Josh went to the doctor Friday and his counts were low. His weight was up but so was his nausea. We went back today and his counts are going back up but his weight was down and we are working on the nausea. All in all he is rebounding but slowly. We do not have to go back till the 8th of October and then he is inpatient on the 10th for more chemo.
Onto the house. The inside is a mess and there is no easy fix. We are waiting for the insurance to give us a number to see what we can do and even then it may be a while till we can fix anything. Building materials are in scarce supply and contractors harder to find. However our most pressing matter is our fence. A stray came into the yard to drink the dogs water and eventually bit Miriam. She is ok, it was just an overgrown pup and didn't break the skin but it drove home the point to us that having our yard exposed to the road behind us was not a good thing. Also the poor beagles are devastated to be on leash lines all the time. Unfortunately our association apparently owns the parimeter fence in our neighborhood which includes our back fence and they don't seem concerned about fixing it anytime soon. I am working the angles trying to find a compromise but it is a mess.
Now, for some fun....we now have mosquitos (no exageration) the size of flies and a prolifiation of frogs. (yes this does remind me of the plagues of the old testament) Well tonight I heard the dogs barking and they were tangled in the leashes. I fixed them and they ran after something. Megan grabbed it in her mouth and I was scared that it might be a snake or something. I yelled and shook her till she dropped it and it was a frog. It hopped in circles (apparently being a dogs mouth will leave you in a daze) but eventually hopped into the grass. However they chased it and I had to capture it and run through the house. It jumped out of my cup by the front door but I managed to free it into the front garden and I hope it hopped away. I would like to expose my son's apparent lack of bravery- Josh hid on the sofa during the whole event. I do not know what he was more afraid of, the frog or my screaming every time it moved. ( stop and get a visual of this) Anyway, we are trying to get back to normal but I just don't know what that is anymore. School still is not back in and today they said not tomorrow or Thursday either. Groceries are hard to come by and I no longer believe we will ever get rid of the boxes. I guess that doesn't matter too much, everyone is doing ok, and we get by......Keep praying - we pray for you too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. You should write children's stories, but it probably would scare the kids :-) Hope you get a fence soon, so you can defrog the back yard. LOL. Love and hugs,

Susan

Anonymous said...

Mama Ruth,

Let me know if there is anything we can do to help. We can ship you some supplies from Dallas if they are scarce in your neighborhood. Let me know.

Susie, Jody and family