Saturday, June 20, 2009

Twilight Camp

BOY WAS IT HOT! We had a great time at cub scout camp. Joshua made it through the whole time. I really didn't know if he could take the heat but he did not give up and stayed every day. I do not have any pictures because I was with Josh and if I took pictures of him I would not have gotten any of Teddy who was also there but with the Wolf den. (Josh is a Weblow) I try hard not to make the other children feel like Josh is always getting special treatment. So no pictures of one without the other. There is supposed to be pictures on the scout website of them both so I will have to wait and see if there is. Anyway, we had such a great time. Teddy loved being a Wolf, this was his first scout event. The girls were in the tot lot so they were out in the heat with us. (I couldn't just leave them home alone) They had fun with their groups too.

Ok, let me just tell you how proud I am of Joshua. He did BB guns for the first time and it was very hard for him. It is a six step process before you can actually fire the gun and it was very stressful for him because he could not remember all the steps. You know, things like check the safety, load the bb, cock the gun........ anyway the first day he took so long to get through the process he only got to fire 4 times. And by the time he did he was so stressed he didn't even hit the target. Well the next time we went to the range I told the Range Master and he worked with him. It took 2 extra tries but he not only got the process down he made his badge. You have to score 35 points and he got 36! Not everybody gets the patch for junior shooter but he did. Most of the boys in his group got it but they have all been shooting several times before and only one other boy got it on his first time at camp. I don't think that the guns are a favorite of Josh's but he stuck with it and got it done. He was really into archery and now wants a bow and arrow set but I am not sure about that. Anyway, he got at least 3 badges and I am very proud of him. He is well on the way to getting his Weblow badge and Arrow of Light.

Well, I just finished packing the kids for cancer camp and tomorrow we leave so I will write more when I have news.

2 comments:

~Family Circus~ said...

Can I tell you just how proud I am of you and your son. Joshua is just a true trooper and I wish I had half his strength. As for you, you seem to just take this with stride and go on. Yes, I know from experience, that is just what you have to do, but to do it with the love and power that you do, is amazing. Not to mention to keep them all active and making their lives as normal as possible during all of this, is almost impossible. I know from experience. So you my hero and inspiration, but then again you always have been. You're just the greatest! Please know that I love you and pray for your family constantly and wish that I could see you some day soon. Anyways, just know that you are a fantastic and strong mother, and that those kids are so lucky to have you as their mother and we're doubly lucky to have you as our friend. I love you so much and miss you being here in my life all the time. Thank you for your inspiration and fantastic role model that you are to me. Love ya, K

Anonymous said...

I just have to say it's "Webelos--We be loyal scouts" not Weblow--we blow--we're awful scouts. Sorry, but I just couldn't resist. Love you and thanks for sharing!! Love, Wendy