Saturday, February 9, 2008

Chances

Ok, it is back to me! Thank you to my wonderful sister-in-laws for the great job of posting till I could get to a computer.
I have very sad news today. We are SO greatful for all the miracles that have and are happening. Josh is recovering from the surgery so much faster than the doctors thought was possible. With that said, we received the pathology last night. Josh has a MEDULLABLASTOMA tumor. Even though I knew this was coming I somehow thought that they would tell me it was benign. I am heartbroken to tell you that this is an aggressive tumor that spreads to the spinal cord quickly. They will do another MRI of his spine tomorrow to see if tumors have begun to form. They will also do a spinal tap to look for cancer cells in the fluid. That is done 2 weeks post-op. If it has not spread we have an 80% chance. To make that happen he will have radiation AND chemotherapy for about 9 months to a year. They will radiate the entire brain and spine for 5 weeks every day. They will also do chemo once a week. He then gets a 2 week break and they start a full protocal of chemo for the next 9 months. He will be bald, his growth could be affected, and he could have substantial memory loss from the treatment. There may be more side affects but we will have an oncology appointment just to talk about that later.
I am sorry to just lay this out but we want everyone to be clear about where we are. I am not losing hope, 80% is a good number. But Josh will be asked to endure more than I would ever put on a child. Please, we need you. Keep praying, I am convinced that your prayers made all the difference in this surgery. Look how fast he is recovering! Also, I can see that he has begun to feel isolated and sad. Call him if you have time. Write him letters about your families if you are far away. Don't talk about the cancer- just about him and you and the normal things going on.
I would give my life to take this from him but I can not. My child is no longer just mine, he is becoming all of ours as we love him and pray for him and care for him. Gordon and I love him but he needs more than just us now. I know that Heavenly Father loves Josh, and Jesus Christ stands at his side. Thank you for standing beside us too. Thank you for loving him like we do. Mostly, thank you for making us strong enough to walk down this path we have been placed on.

PS. We will get out of the hospital tomorrow or Monday at the latest. We are just waiting on that MRI.

12 comments:

Janette Porter said...

Dang it! I was with you Ruth, knowing that it was coming, but still hoping and praying for the best. I am so sorry that Josh is going through this and I am so sorry that you and Gordan have to watch him endure so much. We will continue to pray for Josh and your whole family. I saw Teddy at school on Friday. He is such a cutie!!! He tried to come sit with us for lunch, but they had him fill up the table behind us first so he didn't get to. Remember you can still call me anytime you need to! 933-5308

Anonymous said...

Josh and your family are in our prayers and thoughts always. Preston can't wait to play with Josh when he's up for it. Maybe legos or a movie - something low key. We hope the tests tomorrow come back with good news. If you need anything call 884-1717. We love you.

NIblet said...

We'll keep up the prayers... I wish there were more. I'm glad you are surrounded by people who care for you.
Love from the Reeders!

Anonymous said...

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God [and will still give thee aid]: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10 and Hymn 85.
We stand with you with our hearts, prayers and faith.
With Love,
Michael, Nancy,
Joseph, Daniel, & Ammon

Anonymous said...

We have your family in our prayers. We know MANY kids that are survivors of Medullablastoma. Our own son's chances of survival were at 60% and here we are 5 years later and he is healthy and cancer free! We know the same can be true for Josh! So happy to read his recovery has been so great from surgery! He will do great with treatment and the staff at Children's Oncology clinic will take great care of him. It is a wonderful place that we considered our second home. Just take one day at a time. So many of us at Wheeler are praying for your family!

Kellie Beresh - Jake Beresh's Mom
Jake's site - www.caringbridge.org/ne/jakieboy
4 year Ewing's Sarcoma Survivor and Wheeler 5th grader.

Anonymous said...

We love you and we're here for whatever you need day or night, The Edwards

Anonymous said...

Ruth,
Everyone at church misses Josh and his cheerful countenance and we're all counting the days until he returns. All of our love and prayers are with you, Josh and the rest of your special family. So glad that you can lean on the gospel of Jesus Christ at this time. He does hear and answer prayers, what a wonderful blessing!
Rudy and Brenda Carlos

Judy Tufts said...

I believe the surgery was the first of many miracles yet to come for Josh and all of you. Hold on to faith and hope. Try to not be distracted by the negative possibilities. Remember there is a down and an up to every hill. Our love and prayers are with all of you.

lackrik said...

We'll be praying for you and your family. Josh is one tough kid and has a lot of angels around him to get him through this.

((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

We love you soooooo much! As always you are all in our prayers. Keep your strong faith and love for Jesus. xoxo The Hardestys

Anonymous said...

We will pray that it has not spread! I will get the kids to write some cards to Josh this weekend.

Kim, Robert, Sarah, and Evan

Anonymous said...

My 4 year old grand daughter has the same cancer and we just started radiation, atlantis51@windstream.net
We are in Georgia
Melly Kimball