Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Weaver

When my father passed away years ago I was just about to go on a mission for my church. I entered the missionary training center at christmas time and was very low. I (being the silly girl I am) read about the woman who was healed when she touched the hem of Christ's garment and decided that I would be ok if I could touch an apostle. I know that is a stretch but remember I was mourning my father. I did get to meet Elder Neal A. Maxwell and it made all the difference. I wish I had space to tell the whole story but I will just say it was truely healing to my heart to feel his love as we talked that day. Later I wrote to thank him for the time he spent with me and he wrote back. He included a poem that I refer to when I need to understand hard times. I want to share it with you because we have been struggling with all this information this week and the threads of my life are tangled right now. I am trying to let them go and give them to the master weaver. I know he will pick them up and know just what to do. I take hope in this poem and the promise it gives us. I know that we all have trials we just don't understand and this makes it better for me so hopefully it might help you to.

The Weaver

My life is but a weaving, between my God and me.
I do not choose the colors, he worketh steadily.
Oft times he weaveth sorrow, and I in foolish pride,
forget he sees the upper, and I the underside.

Not till the looms are silent, and the shuttles cease to fly.
Will God unroll the canvas and explain the reasons why,
the dark threads are as needful in the skillful weavers hand,
as the threads of gold and silver in the pattern he has planned.

Auther unknown

The gold threads of my life are my husband and children and family and friends. There is so much light in our lives that it stands to reason that he must weave some dark. I pray that we can see each thread as a gift, some are hard to take but bring things that we need, even if we do not see it now. I know that if he holds the threads it will be beautiful when he is done, I just need to be patient a little longer. I hope this brings light to someone today, we think of you always and are so greatful for your blessings and prayers always.

8 comments:

Britt said...

You amaze me Ruth. Thank you for your faith and example. It just amazes me that you are so concerned and thoughtful towards others when you have got so much going on in your life. Josh is such a sweet, Christlike little boy.

Julie said...

Ruth, that was beautiful!! Your faith and steadfastness through all of this has been amazing! Josh is in our prayers.
The Wrights in AZ

susan said...

I found the poem’s author, and the story behind it. Mr. Franklin would write poems to he son, and send a copy to the newspaper. I also found a version that had this as the last verse.

He knows, He loves, He cares,
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives His very best to those
Who leave the choice with Him.

Love & Hugs,
Susan & Richard

The Weaver
by Benjamin Malacia Franklin
(Originally titled, "Just a Weaver")

My life is just a weaving
Between my Lord and me.
I cannot change the color
For He works most steadily.

Oft times He weaves the sorrow
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.

Until the loom is silent
And the shuttle cease to fly,
Will God roll back the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the skillful Weaver's Hand
As the golden threads of silver
He has patterned in His Plan.

(Shown exactly as first published)
___________________________________
About the Poem and its Author
Each year we receive several letters from people who believe this poem was written by one of their ancestors. Happily, the author is no longer a mystery -- thanks to Bob Corley, grandson of B. M. Franklin.
The authorship is substantiated by the Library of Congress (activity file # 20060727210211) and we have received a scanned copy of the original newspaper clipping where the poem was first published. The Memphis Commercial Appeal Newspaper routinely published Franklin’s poems in a section of the paper under the column heading titled, “Poet’s Corner.”
Franklin's family holds three treasured keepsakes: the newspaper clipping from the Poet's Corner, the original hand written poem, and the envelope (dated 1950) in which Franklin mailed the poem to his son in Memphis, Tennessee.
Franklin wrote many poems, which can be found in the book Reflections In Time, written by his grandson, Bob Corley. For information on this book, go to www.rainwaterpublishing.com.

Emily said...

that is beautiful. I'm sharing that for FHE tonight - hope you don't mind. We're still praying for you!

TR said...

What a neat poem! I love it! It helped me a lot! Thanks for your great example. You are so strong! Josh and your entire family are in our prayers always.

Anonymous said...

A bit confused. Did B.M. Franklin write this or Grant Colfax Tullar?

T-Bird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T-Bird said...

I had a friend who truly believed that she had written it as a song. I think the Biblical imagery of this poem is so personal for everyone who reads it.