Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Midnight, Miserable, and Maryland

Ok, as usual I am behind in my posting with the events of the week. First off, we went to the hospital for our chemo admitt on Friday and they sent us home. They had 9 kids waiting for beds and nowhere to put them. Because Josh is on a protocol we were bumped to the top of the list and they called us at 9:30 Friday night. We got checked in and in a bed between 10:30 and 11pm. They have to hydrate before the chemo can start so that had us waking Josh at 2:30 to take one of the chemo drugs that is a pill. The rest of it is IV so he could sleep. Well, this was another bad round. It is getting harder and harder for him to handle this poison they are filling him with. They ended up giving him 4 different anti-nausea drugs at the same time and he slept for the next 24 hours. He would wake up to go potty and throw up and then fall back to sleep. He told me that he doesn't want to do this anymore and I had to give him the "its your job to keep trying and not give up" peptalk. Of course I feel terrible telling him that and wanted to cry but after I talked to him he said ok and in true Josh fashion did not complain again. We got him home on Sunday about lunch time and I am excited to say while he is tired he is much more stable than last time. He is eating just enough to stay strong!

Now onto other news. I am in Maryland as I type this. My sister had to have surgery to have her thyroid removed and she has heart problems so I felt I needed to be with her and her daughters today. (People are going to start thinking I have a thing for hospitals) I flew in last night and leave in the morning but I am very glad to be here for her. It was really hard to leave Josh, the other kids are accustomed to me leaving for a day or two but he cried and I almost didn't get on the plane. I am proud to report that he is having fun with dad and even conned his teacher into playing dominoes as part of his lessons today! I will be very glad to get home tomorrow, I worry so much now. Anyway,,, we are ok and grateful for the prayers that get us through each day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for thinking of others during this difficult time. You are blessed and a blessing. Love and Hugs,

Susan & Richard

NIblet said...

I SO wish I could help somehow, wrap my arms around Josh and tell him how proud I am of him for being such a strong warrior. He's being a good big brother and a faithful son of Heavenly Father, I'm so pleased to know you, Josh!! Hang in there.
Love, robin

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth, it's me Cathy Galloway from Eastridge Ward! Elanore Bennett handed me a paper copy of your blog, so I'm typing in! I had been asking about Josh, I guess she was tired of me asking! anyway, I don't know if you remember the little redhead girl in Josh's kindergarten class, Cassi or Cassidy? any wayI wasn't sure if you knew she also had a brain tumor, she died a little over a year ago, her mom's name was Jenn. I'm telling you this because I found it ironic of them both having tumors and being in the same class! We pray for you guys and write when you can!

Pat said...

Hey Josh its me Kaden I really want you to feel better so you can come back to Omaha and play with us again. I hope you start to feel really good so you can do really fun stuff with your family and friends.I pray for you a lot that you will get better.