Monday, December 8, 2008

Car Metaphors

Sunday came and Josh woke up with a terrible croupy cough. He was weazing and miserable so off we went to the emergency room. Of course he is just like a tempermental car and he refused to make the noise for the doctor. They thought I was overprotective of him. I did request his bloodwork be done as I knew we would need it today and I thought it would speed things up today. They drew the blood and told me to go home, they would call if there was anything wrong. Well last night at 10:15 they called and said that his hemoglobin was low. It should be at least 10 but anything below 8 is serious. Joshua was at 7.3. They told me that we should come in first thing in the morning and they would be ready to give blood then. Unfortunately, they did not type and cross his blood type and we got there at 9:30 and they were not ready. We had an appointment for a hearing test but we missed it because they would not let us leave the unit during the infusion of blood. We were there from 9:30 to 6pm.
The good news is that even though his hemoglobin was so low, his other counts are moving up. So now that we have topped off his tank, so to speak, we are hoping he will feel a little better. He has been so tired and just not feeling well. He is still tired tonight but that may just be the long day we had today. We got him to bed and I hope he wakes up doing well tomorrow. Unfortunately, this means that we have to come back to the hospital for counts on Friday and because the hearing test was missed we are waiting to hear (no pun intended) when that will be. This is supposed to be our week off of treatment for him to relax and feel good so it is a bummer.
All in all things are ok, the doctors think he is doing great. I guess my definition of great is different than theirs. I want him to smile more and worry less. I want him to have energy and confidence. One thing I want for him he has, his testimony is stronger all the time. He seems so grounded in his faith. He doesn't worry about missing anything as much as he worries about missing church. He is always waiting for Sunday and if he can't go he is so down. I am so lucky to have a special spirit in Josh. He truly has a greater understanding and I just pray I can learn from him. Meanwhile he is ok and we will take tomorrow as it comes. Thanks for your prayers and keep them coming we need them. Lets park our cars and remember to slow down and walk through life, we don't want to miss it.

6 comments:

Lanae said...

Thinking of you tonight...josh will be in our prayers hopefully tomorrow he will have a little more energy. Stay warm! Love you Lanae

Anonymous said...

We have so much to learn from our children! Nice metaphor!

alligood said...

Ruth,
Thank you for your beautiful comment on my blog, and for sharing your family and story with me through your blog. I will go through and read your entire blog when I have a bit more time! I hope you will allow me to link your blog to mine, so I can keep close tabs on your little Josh.
Thank you for reaching out - I would love to keep in touch!
-Allison

A mother heart said...

Josh IS a special kid. He has always has a very strong moral compass and wants to do right.
This is such a crazy roller coaster ride. I hope he gets to feeling better and can go to church tomorrow.

As for the post of sevens, you just post the same stuff I did about yourself, if you want. It;s just all in fun, but I'd love to see what you write!
Love you tons!

happyfamily said...

I HOPE THAT JOSH IS DOING BETTER AND HIS HEMOGLOBIN HAS INCREASED AND YOUR NOT AT THE HOSPITAL TONIGHT. I AM SO GLAD WE GOT TO SEE YOU THIS PAST SUMMER. NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW WHO I AM.
LOVE COLENE JONES

ArchRay said...

Wow. He really is a great kid! Keep up the good work keeping up with all the little "counts".